Wednesday, March 22, 2006

It's why we have Judge Judy

You have a breach of contract claim for $200.01, with alleged DTPA causes of action that include knowing violations. In which Texas court(s) can you file your petition?

a.) Justice Court

b.) County Court

c.) County Court-at-Law

d.) District Court

e.) Why in God's name did you take a case that will cost you more in toner than it will make you if you win?

The correct answer, of course, is 'e'. I refer you back to Civil Procedure, wherein I was asked how I could defeat removal in a diversity action. I answered "by suing for $75,000 or less." The professor said "I suppose you could do that, Fahrenthold, but frankly, I'm not going to think that hard for just seventy-five grand." I believe the principle applies in state court, as well.